Jade Mason

Jade Mason

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nothing says "Fiesta!!" like a cold crappy snowy day!..in April

Snow.....really? Well the good news is that we have more followers!!! The bad news is it is so crappy out! Its that wet sticky heavy rainy snow. The snow that seems to turn all new englander's into senior citizens  behind the wheel..breaking for no apparent reason and driving 15 miles per hour on Route 1.  So today after the aggravations of the road I was in no mood to deal with the large super markets so I went back to my safety...Crosby's market. And despite the crap weather I am feeling quite festive! So I grabbed a pack of beautiful stir fry beef for $2.23(already pre-sliced) and some corn tortillas for $1 ...some fresh cilantro and onion and a lime...and thats when I saw them...bright bulbs of orange winking at me from behind the jalepenos triple dog daring me to come closer and possibly consider taking them home...HABENEROS!!! Just saying the word evokes instant memories off flesh burning heat in my mouth!! So I grabbed them and also a small container of sour cream(for emergency cooling on contact) Now I never used to use gloves...until I literally burned my eye an hour after contact with a habenero..so as a safety precaution I would put on a pair of latex gloves and call it a day. My favorite way to fire roast anything is simple...skewer the veg and lay it on top of open flame on stove...until you start to see a nice char(black spots) and then turn the skewer to get even effect all the way around. Cool the veg, in this case the Habenero, and then after putting on the gloves scoop out and devaine the insides. Throw into a blender with salt lime juice and a dash of cummin and you have a phenomenal habenero sauce!!
 Now turn your indoor grill on and then cook the beef to your liking..steam the corn tortillas and then assemble ..corn tortilla beef , diced onion fresh cilantro accompany with a lime and some sour cream on the side. Serve the fresh roast habenero on the side or with some fresh pico de giao and instantly transport those taste buds to a warm south American fiesta!** I always have rice to serve with my tacos de carne.. but I keep it simple: cooked rice,  butter,  sea salt and pepper..it plays nicely with the fire in your mouth from the beef tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment