Jade Mason

Jade Mason

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Top of the mornin' to ya!...Hangover cures for your St. Patty's day left overs

OH BOY!!!...Here we go again!!! St. Patty's Day. Well ,aside from the obvious boiled dinner and tons of beer,  I like to grab a few other things and have on hand so I can use that leprechaun magic and whip up my "Pot of Gold" casserole for brunch on Saturday. It has a corned beef base and it consists of layers of sliced potatoes, apples and leeks. I tie it all together with a cheese creamy sauce and bake. The flavors are surprising and fresh. I of course LOVE my corned beef hash and that is typically made for the Sunday following St. Patties day. But my "Pot of Gold" casserole is one of those great recipes you can make and people can pick at and serve themselves all day. It is so yummy and really ties in the flavors of spring by incorporating those delicious leeks.
Now I like to boil extra potatoes with my boiled dinner so I have the potatoes all ready to go into my Casserole as well as my hash. By only adding a few extra ingredients you are creating two more wonderful meals out of one boiled dinner! Way to be Centsational! Happy St. Patricks day!
Pot of Gold Casserole
  2 1/2 cups leeks (only white and lt green parts)sliced    2 Tbsp butter
7 cups boiled potatoes sliced                                            1/4 cup white wine
1 cup sliced apples                                                         8oz Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup diced cooked corned beef                                    1 1/4cup light cream

Preheat the oven to 350*. in a large pot over med heat melt the butter add leeks. stir until soft. Add apples and potatoes with the white wine and cream and salt and pepper. Bring to boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Transfer half of the mixture into a baking dish and sprinkle half the cheese top with remaining mixture..
sprinkle rest of cheese and cover bake for 20 minutes and then bake 10 minutes more until cheese is golden brown. Enjoy.


Sunday Brunch Hash(serve in place of canadian bacon for and Irish Eggs Benedict)
*take left over potatoes and dice about 1 cup add 1/2 cup diced onion. Heat 1 tbsp oil med heat .Cook until golden brown then add 1 cup diced corned beef with salt and pepper and 1 tsp onion powder and dash garlic salt. continue cooking until browned and crispy....

1 comment:

  1. This sounds even better Im just going to have to put both in my book what will you come up with next?? Cant wait for your easter recipes!!!!!!!!
    Love Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete