Jade Mason

Jade Mason

Saturday, March 5, 2011

The "C" word.....(Cabbage)

Oh my god I frigging hated cabbage growing up....my mother and her boiled dinners, YUCK! I used to refer to this putrid smelling veggie as "the C word".Then I turned 19 and had gone to see my boyfriend play for St.Patties day. I had gotten so drunk. The bar was of course serving boiled dinners and after like, 30 green beers I found it necessary to my survival to eat one... cabbage and all.! And guess what?.. it was AMAZING!! (a paper napkin would have tasted just as good at that point)But, something had changed and I suddenly made cabbage a regular part of my fare. Experimenting with various recipes and various types of cabbage.
As I got older and had traveled to various places in the world I could see how in just about every culture theres cabbage and it is an intricate part of most peoples diets. The main reason is definitely the price...its one of those staples that keep families full for pennies.
If you have been paying attention to where the trends in food are going you would have noticed a throw back to the poorer staples that really represent the regions...where these foods are made to taste incredible,well, because they have too...
Now that it is cabbage season it is incredibly abundant and it is insanely cheap! This next recipe is my own creation. It is a savory stuffed cabbage that is really a combination of Greek stuffed leaves and traditional stuffed cabbage. It is carb conscious and the stuffing is made with lean ground beef, fresh dill , fresh mint ,plump golden raisins, lemon ,spices ,tomato juice and then wrapped in cabbage and baked in beer and stewed tomatoes. It is incredibly easy and quite delicate flavor wise...but look out come 11pm after everyone has gone you will be raiding the fridge and these are perfectly delectable cold!!...wrap up that cabbage! I have two Centsational recipes coming up for the rest!!
 Centsational Gourmet's Stuffed Cabbage
1lb lean beef                                                         1 cup finely chopped Dill
1 head cabbage with 6 large leafs pulled out           1 cup fresh chopped mint
1 cup golden raisins                                                1tsp old bay seasoning
juice from 1 lemon                                                  1 small onion finely chopped
1 beer                                                                     1 can stewed tomatoes
sea salt / pepper
In boiling water blanch leaves for 1 minute then remove to cool. Discard water. Heat oven to 425* . In mixing bowl combine beef spices herbs onions and raisins. Add 1/2 cup of the stewed tomatoes. Mix well. Break mixture into 6 balls. Then wrap each ball with a cabbage leaf and place in baking dish. cover with beer and then the stewed tomatoes and bake covered for 25 minutes then bake another 5 minutes uncovered.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Auntie I will absolutly put this in my food journal\cookbook!!
    Love Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete